Thursday 25 February 2021

Victims of Tactical Fashion

Much like the fashion industry, we too suffer from what is cool and what is not.  Fads and trends.  Often these tends fall away from what is practical or useful.  

The current tactical fashion is unnecessarily long handguards.  You see it with new production rifles, specifically the WS-MCR.  Even with the WK-180C people are in a mad scramble to change the functional handguard to something silly long.

It escapes me how this serves any practical purpose except for the LCF (look cool factor).  Extra weight?  Check.  Lower maneuverability and usability? Check?  Bragging rights like every other mouth-breathing wannabe cool guy? Check.

Perhaps the extra weight helps to reduce the hellish recoil of the 223 rounds?

Maybe they are worried that they might lick the barrel and thus want it covered?

I don’t know.

I had a guy try to justify this trend outside of LCF: he said that people wanted to put flashlights as far forward as possible.  Does his flashlight shine 5” farther than mine?

Another one I hear is: I want to shoot like Magpul tells me!  Navy SEALs do it!  I roll my eyes at this.  You know that Navy SEALs are generally not running around with full length rifles right?  You know that the Magpul method is not used in the real world like you think it is?

I can’t stand lies.  If you are one of these people, just be honest.  Tell me: I do it because that’s the cool thing nowadays.  I’ll respect you for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment