Friday 27 July 2012

You Get What You Pay For....

I was doing my daily read through on CGN, one of the gun forums that I read. I came across this little gem:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553138

When will people grab a clue and realize that you CAN NOT build a quality tactical firearm for $600?

Yet you have people who absolutely refuse to shell out even $200 more for something that will work and last.The people who refuse to pay for quality are the same people that drive the creation of cheap, poorly constructed firearms. Just because a rifle is chambered in .22LR and is intended for training is no reason to build airsoft-grade crap.

I had a pistol blow up in my hands just before my QL6 course in spring 2011. It was a Sig Mosquito. I often wondered how this .22 pistol could be half the price of a regular pistol. Now I know; cheap materials. The slide, which was made out of pot metal, snapped cleanly in 2.
I like to save money on ammo but I don’t like to replace broken parts or entire firearms.

Now that the S2 has come to market people call it overpriced but the reality is, my gun will last. It is not cheap pot metal and no one will be able to go on CGN and complain about my gun failing…

Kind of like how the M&P15-22, the Colt-Umarex 22, the GSG-5 and now the Sig
Mosquito have failed



//////////////////FROM CGN - POSTED BY USERID ARMAMENT/////////
The impulse to buy and desire to get something different than the other dozen 10/22's I've had in the last half decade prompted me to buy an overpriced vtr.

Went to a gun store in Saint john and my eyes fell upon it. I bought the model with the adjustable stock. Seemed a little heavy but whatever. Looked like a neat little toy (had no idea ruger had made its own ar15 mockery). So I bought it and first thing's first from the factory they somehow managed to crossthread the buffer tube into thje receiver. The stock was loose and when I went to tighten the tube but I unthreaded the tube and notice they had the threads all marred up. Whatever, tubes are cheap and aluminum is soft.

My first trip out shooting with it proved to be less than impressive. I hadn't shot in quite a while but even with a facog 4x from no more than 20 yards away it was shooting all over the place. I guessed it didn't like dynapoints and decided I'd try different ammo later.

Second trip out I have a couple of friends and I happend to have brought a cooey 60 so more than one of us could plink away at a given time. Two shots in and the extractor blew itself somewhere along with the spring. It's now a single shot until I effectively order another extractor.

I took it apart this evening and studied the less than flattering worksmanship gone into this rifle. Unlike the ruger and most semi auto 22's I noticed if you hold the trigger down the hammer will follow the bolt. Maybe it had to do with the trigger group being separate from the bolt but I irked an eyebrow when I was playing with the trigger group. I'm not worried about an out of battery fire or slam fire but what kind of piss poor design allows the hammer not to catch once the trigger is depressed and the hammer hits the back of the firing pin?

I also noticed my remington oem 30 round mag wont engage the mag catch which isn't a big deal but kind of defeats the purpose.

Not a huge fan of the plastic internal workings. Cheap and dirty. Overall I'm not impressed and should have stuck to my roots. The 10/22 is simple, effective proven and true. The 597 feels like mass produced, inaccurate garbage. Maybe I just bought a lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment